Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Write Thing

Did you get any letters at Christmas? I'm talking real letters. Hand-written. Not those mass-produced "how great our year was - bet it was better than yours" computer-printed essays.

I got two. And, I've read them both several times. For me, there is nothing better than sitting back in the recliner, hand-written letter in hand, and hearing my friends' voices as I read their words. They told me what they knew I'd love to hear about . They related things to past shared experiences. They were - well, personal.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those computer-printed letters but they somehow carry a bit of detachment with them. I still love to hear what my friends have done during the year. But, it's just not a special event to read them. (Matt & John, you're the exception to this. I can't wait to get your newsletter each year! Love them!!!)

When's the last time you wrote a letter to someone? I try to write at least two a month. This year, I'm upping the ante to one a week. I hope the recipients feel the same way I do when I get an honest-to-God letter.

Most friendly resolution on my list...doing the write thing each week.

No comments: