Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Sunday According To John

Raise your hands...how many of you know John Prine's song Spanish Pipedream? Yeah? Good, then you'll know what I'm talking about. No? Well, all you need to know to understand this topic is the first 4 words of the chorus.

Blow up your TV

Okay, I have to admit that I didn't actually blow it up. But, I turned it off. I've had enough of reality. I've had enough of fake (ie. Balloon Boy). I've had enough sports and news and pundits and...well, I've had enough TV.

I've been trying to decide if I should give up cable. I'm just not sure that I can suffer Food Network withdrawal. And, more and more, I'm finding that I'm turning to the cable channels that run the reruns of old shows. Like MASH and Andy Griffith. So, I've not convinced myself to cut the chord just yet.

But, I sure have enjoyed a day of peace. By peace, I don't necessarily mean quiet. I've played all my favorite music. And I danced around the house while doing things that I probably wouldn't have gotten done if I'd gotten sucked into some crumby TV show that I didn't care about but couldn't turn off.

The other thing I've done today is go through my inbox and unsubscribe to about 2 dozen emails, newsletters, etc. All they were doing was stressing me because when I didn't take the time to read them, I'd feel like I was leaving something unfinished. The next day, there be another email update. I was falling farther and farther behind. So, today I unsubbed and deleted all the unread things that obviously weren't that important to my every day (or every week) existence. Phew! Load off my electronic mind!!

So tell me, if you've cut the cable, how long did the withdrawal last? Are you glad you did it or are you considering cabling up again?

I'm definitely going to Turn off the TV on a regular basis going forward. And who knows, one day maybe I will Blow up the TV as John suggests...or at least donate it to a reality-, fake-, sports-, news-, pundit-needy home.

No comments: